Is the friendly bike hire and booking company on the Otago Central Rail Trail. We specialise in:
- Rail Trail Bike hire.
- Preparation and booking of travel on the Otago Central Rail Trail along with helpful advice so you can make the most of your time on the Rail Trail. This includes arranging transport to and from the rail trail, accommodation on and off the rail trail (eg Queenstown,Christchurch or Dunedin), baggage transport along the rail trail, extra activities like curling in Naseby, off trail rides and golf among others.
We’re a great choice for:
- Independent travellers – as we custom design a package based on your requirements – at no cost to you.
- Families – we’ve got a young family of our own and we understand how to ease the pressures of a family holiday.
- Full trail or part trail customers – we can provide you with a package for the whole trail or because we’re in Omakau, we’re ideally situated for one or two day trips that look to take in the highlights of the Poolburn Gorge and Tunnels. You’ll find the itinerary we create for you is great value, as good as if not better than if you’d booked it yourself, and full of information to make for a smooth journey.
- Anyone that hasn’t ridden a bike in quite some time or who is looking for a very “plush” ride – our Specialized 2014/15 comfort bikes provide what is called “Ground Control Geometry” for a confident, upright seating position and easy mount and dismount. This is a key feature for those older hips and knees!
- Anyone who’s wanting to ride a sport mountain bike because that’s what you’re used to – we have Specialized USA MTB’s in size XS to XXL.
We started out providing accommodation for the Otago Central Rail Trail and over the years we’ve listened to and noted the experiences of customers. So, when we started shebikeshebikes our aims were simple
- to provide you with a great experience via detailed and attentive service
- to match your expectations with the right product
- to be innovative in regards to the service and gear that we provide
- to cater for you whether you’re doing the trail end to end or just want to do a section or two
- to provide you with the advice and information you need to have a hassle free holiday
- to ensure that you are fitted to the right bike
- to make it transparent and make it real
We reckon we’ve got some of the best bikes on the trail.
E-Bikes – the Department of Conservation (DOC) have given the thumbs up for E-Bikes on the Otago Central Rail Trail. We’ve created a great mid drive E-Bike based on our fabulous Specialized Roll low entry comfort bikes. Pricing is $110/ day for single day hire or $90/ day for multi-day.
Comfort – Our comfort bikes are the very latest comfort bikes from Specialized USA. Specialized are passionate about bikes (their company by-line is “Innovate or die”) and their Expedition Sports are testament to this. The “Ground Control Geometry” of these bikes means that you can sit on the seat with feet on the ground and then simply pedal away, perfect if it’s been a while since you’ve been on a bike. The upright posture means that you won’t suffer fatigue in your arms as you would if you were riding a mountain bike (and weren’t used to riding one). Combine this with the Body Geometry grips to alleviate hand pain, front shock absorber, suspension seat post and the wide platform sprung seat and you find that you’re in for a very “plush ride”.
The Expedition Sport comes in two models:
- A low entry geometry which lets you step through the frame to mount the bike rather than having to “throw a leg” over the seat and your trunk/pannier bag that you’ve stuffed full of trail mix 😉 Don’t get caught out thinking this is a womens bike because it’s not, it’s form meets the functional need of an easy mount and dismount and super stable base. We recently had a group of customers where the males confessed to having swapped their sport mountain bikes for the low entry expeditions their partners had chosen so they could experience the fun, plush ride. In our opinion these are the perfect rail trail bike – fun, stylie, stable and plush.
- A traditional geometry with a steeply angled top tube and “Ground Control Geometry”. You’ll need to “throw a leg over” to get onto this one but they’re still a fun, stable and plush ride with an upright posture. Well suited to the purest or conservative at heart (yes, there’s a challenge in there to step out and try the low entry).
Sport – If you’re a regular mountain biker and simply can’t bring yourself to “go comfort ” or you’re going to try out some of the off trail options we provide true 24speed mountain bikes. Mouse of our MTB’s are 29r’s with the big 29 inch wheels that are so well suited to flowing trails. For the smaller people we have some options in size XS and S with 26inch wheels. All MTBs are 24 speed with disc brakes in just about all cases.
The MTB’s are modified with the addition of a comfort seat comprised of double density foam and air cell springs along with a pannier rack for your gear.
Kids – Once again Specialized comes to the front with the kids Hot Rock mountain bike with super low stand over height, making it perfect for your 8 to 12 yr old (depending on height).
For the younger kids, we’d recommend a tag-along that attaches to your bike or for the really small members of the family then try the kiddie trailer. We’ve also sourced something really exciting and innovative in the tag-along range in the form or the recumbent IGO. This is an excellent tag along because if your tail end charlie wants to have a sleep then they can do so without putting a stop to you cycling.
We’ve got one of these and based on customer feedback we’ve modified it to provide the right sort of ride for the Otago Central Rail Trail – super comfortable gel sprung seats, front shocks.
We can provide Trunk Bags and standard Pannier Bags.
The perfect bag for your day on the trail with more than enough capacity for the gear you’ll need if you’re having your overnight gear transported each day. Remember, pack as lightly as you can because you have to shift the load and you’ll only ever use a fraction of what you pack (isn’t that always the way?!!).
Standard Pannier Bags
The majority of our standard pannier bags are Tioga Dry Bags as pictured. They have a 54 Litre capacity per pair and a total a maximum weight of 25KG combined (that’s what the pannier racks can handle safely). These are the best option if
- You’re not having your bags transported each day, but remember to pack as lightly as you can as you have to shift the gear.
- They’re also a good option to opt for with a family group – in order to provide some extra capacity for extra clothing for the kids or space for when they take gear off.
Our Challenge to you
Give us a yell and let us show you what we can do for you so you can explore and experience this amazing part of New Zealand – firstname.lastname@example.org